What you need to know about Wisdom Tooth Extraction Medicines
What medicine to take after tooth extraction? – Wisdom Tooth Extraction Medicines
Tooth extraction involves the removal of a tooth from its socket, leading to inflammation and soreness in the surrounding tissues. We often prescribe painkillers to manage the pain and discomfort following this procedure. These Wisdom Tooth Extraction Medicines help alleviate pain, reduce inflammation, and allow the body to heal more effectively.
The commonly prescribed painkillers are NSAIDs. They effectively manage mild to moderate pain and are available over the counter. Antibiotics are not prescribed in all cases and are used when there was a lot of pus before the tooth extraction – Advanced Dental Clinic .
Painkillers – Wisdom Tooth Extraction Medicines
Painkillers usually work fast and are used within the first couple of days till the wound has also begun to stabilize and is no longer as painful as when the tooth was extracted. It should be noted that the local anesthetic effect will last about 1 – 1.5 hours after tooth extraction and after the effect wears off, so you can take painkillers immediately if necessary.
Acetaminophen is a standard medicine for treating mild to moderate pain after tooth extraction surgery.
Antibiotics – Wisdom Tooth Extraction Medicines
Commonly used antibiotics after a tooth extraction includes Amoxicyclin, mostly or in combination with metronidazole in cases of severe pus and infection. It should be noted that alcohol consumption should be avoided with the use of metronidazole to avoid adverse reactions. The antibiotics are given for a prescribed schedule of 3 days, 5 days, or 7 days as per the initial condition of the tooth. You must never skip the dose and ensure that you complete the course as prescribed by our experts for optimum healing.
General care instructions apart from Wisdom Tooth Extraction Medicines
- Do not spit for the first 24hrs after the oral surgery
- Avoid poking the surgical site with your fingers or using a toothpick. There is a tendency for the tongue to touch the extraction site. Be careful to avoid it as it can dislodge the clot.
- Use an ice pack for cold compression from outside the mouth. Use it intermittently on the day of the extraction.
- Do not lie down immediately after reaching home; use an extra pillow to elevate your head while sleeping.
- Avoid smoking and drinking for at least a week after the surgery.
- Avoid eating solid food items immediately after the surgery. Shift to a soft diet for the first few days.
- Attend your regular follow-ups at The Advanced Dental Clinic East Delhi
What is expected after the surgery? – Wisdom Tooth Extraction Medicines
- Minor swelling in the surgical area is expected and normal.
- Slight pain or discomfort after the procedure is expected and can be managed effectively with Wisdom Tooth Extraction Medicines.
- There may be slight difficulty while opening the mouth, and the opening might be reduced for a few days.
- Slight oozing of blood is normal. Contact us at The Advanced Dental Clinic East Delhi if you notice uncontrolled bleeding.