All about TMJ Surgery? – TMJ Surgery Delhi
Types of TMJ surgery Delhi – Best TMJ Surgery in East Delhi
This is the least invasive type of TMJ surgery and is an outpatient procedure so you can go home the same day. Arthrocentesis involves inserting needles into joint space to inject a fluid that lubricates the joint and reduces friction.
This is another minimally invasive procedure but more invasive than arthrocentesis. A scope is used to examine your joint, remove scar tissue, smooth the bone, or reposition the disc.
Arthrotomy or arthroplasty
This open-joint surgery can repair anatomical problems of the jaw joint. An incision facilitates many surgical procedures, like removing growths or adhesions in the jaw and disc surgeries.
To treat severe cases of TMJ disorder, prosthetic implants can be surgically placed in the jaw to replace some parts or the complete temporomandibular joint. This approach is intended for people with excruciating pain or minimal function who have not responded to other treatment modalities.
Open-joint surgery involves opening an incision a few inches long over the joint to operate on it. This type of TMJ surgery is usually reserved for an extreme case of TMJ disorder.
Who’s a good candidate for TMJ surgery? – TMJ Surgery Delhi
Your dentist will recommend TMJ surgery when
- You have consistent, excruciating pain or tenderness when you move your jaw.
- You can’t open or close your mouth to its full range of motion
- You have trouble eating or drinking because of impaired movement or pain
- Your pain worsens, even at rest, and is not responding to other nonsurgical means of management
- Your jaw joint has specific developmental problems confirmed radiographically with imaging, such as CT scans, X-rays, or MRI.
Purpose of TMJ Surgery – TMJ Surgery Delhi
TMJ disorders cause immense pain and impaired range of motion when you try to move your jaw. They may also lead to a painful clicking or popping sound in the jaw joint while opening or closing your mouth.
TMJ surgery aims to eliminate pain and facilitate normal jaw function. Surgery may be considered for jaw conditions like-
- Generalized Arthritis, which causes damage to the joints, including the jaw
- Dislocated jaw bone
- Direct Injury to the condyles
- A displaced disc that usually cushions the joint
How to Prepare – Best TMJ Surgery in East Delhi
- Ask your dentist any doubts or questions you have before the surgery. You can discuss the steps of your surgery and the aftercare required.
- Make sure to have ice packs and the prescribed medicines before the surgery.
- Discuss all your medical conditions like high blood pressure, diabetes, and heart with your doctor.
- Please inform about the current medications and any allergies you have
What to Wear
Wear loose and comfortable clothes for your surgery.
Food and Drink
Check with your surgeon to get specific food and drink recommendations in your case. You’ll have to stop eating or drinking after midnight with general anesthesia. On the day of your surgery, you must ensure your stomach is empty.