Gum Care East Delhi – Swollen Gums with Braces: Causes and Cure
Dental braces are the fixed appliances used to correct the conditions of crooked teeth or misaligned teeth. They move the teeth slowly into a more desired position by applying pressure on them. Dental braces can cause pain and swelling in the gums, which is expected, especially when you are planning braces for the first time. In the information provided below, we will be discussing the causes of swollen gums during braces treatment and its cure – Gum Care East Delhi
Causes of swollen gums during braces: by experts for Gum Care East Delhi
There are two main reasons for swollen gums during braces treatment. However, medical conditions such as diabetes make an individual more prone to gum problems.
- Poor oral hygiene- there are high chances of food and plaque accumulation with dental braces. The bacteria tend to grow faster in these cases leading to inflammation of the gums.
- Pressure from the wires- the dental braces work by exerting pressure on the teeth, eventually leading to their movement. This movement leads to some irritation in the gum tissue surrounding the teeth leading to their inflammation.
Home remedies for effective Gum care: Advice from experts for Gum Care East Delhi
In the initial stages, there are a few ways to control gum swelling by incorporating home remedies like-
- Rinsing three to four times with lukewarm saline water
- Using the anti-inflammatory medications
- Avoiding eating hard consistency food items like raw fruits and veggies
Treatment options: Gum Care East Delhi
If the swelling in the gums is because of gingivitis, our team will suggest a thorough cleaning of your teeth to subside the gum inflammation. Regular cleaning and periodic follow-ups are required in such cases for effective gum care.
Suppose the swelling and the inflammation won’t subside with professional cleaning, and our dentist sees an overgrowth of gums known as gingival hyperplasia. In that case, surgery is planned to excise that outgrowth.
How to prevent Gum problems with Dental Braces: Quick tips
- Dental braces can make it challenging to brush your teeth; however, regular brushing and flossing your teeth is the only way to prevent plaque buildup that leads to gum problems.
- Use a water flosser or an orthodontic floss threader to clean the space between two teeth.
- Use an antibacterial mouthwash to rinse effectively after brushing and flossing your teeth.
- Regular follow-ups are scheduled with our doctors at Advanced Dental Clinic, and we suggest you do not miss them. Always remember early diagnosis is the key to managing gum diseases effectively.
The bottom line –
It is common to have gum problems during dental braces treatment. The dental braces impact the gums when the wires are tightened. Maintaining oral hygiene becomes a problem when you have braces on your teeth that lead to gums swelling. This can be easily prevented by regular brushing, flossing, and visiting your dentist for follow-ups.