Dental Surgery Procedures: What are the Types of Mouth Surgery
Dental Surgery: The Types and The Procedures
A patient may avail of dental surgery for several reasons. Within this, there are distinct types that involve different sets of procedures. From impacted wisdom tooth treatment to cosmetic surgery, there are various dental procedures that fall under mouth surgery. Let us learn a little more about them:
Do you need Dental Surgery?
Dental Surgery involves any medical procedure that includes refashioning the teeth, gums, and/or jawbone. With the use of the right instruments, and expertise, dental surgery is performed to solve numerous oral problems.
But how will you find out when a surgery is needed? Read the pointers below to understand:
- If you have unbearable soreness in your jaw and teeth, maybe it is time to schedule a visit with the dentist or even a dental surgeon. The immense pain could be due to impacted wisdom teeth. Wisdom teeth grow at the very corner of the mouth. When they get infected, it is best to get them removed.
- There could be issues in the jaw-joint region leading to pain. You may experience difficulty in closing and opening your mouth. If this pain and immobility intensify, then it is time to visit a dental surgeon.
- You could be facing the problem of overbite or underbite. With an overbite, the upper portion of teeth falls beyond the lower teeth edge. While in the case of an underbite, the lower portion of teeth falls over the upper edge of teeth. This misalignment could be cured via dental surgery.
Dental Surgery Procedures: What does a typical procedure look like?
Dental surgery procedures are based on dental maladies. The procedure should go as follows:
For Impacted Tooth
The impacted tooth is surgically removed via these 2 steps:
- Administering the local anaesthesia followed by an incision in the gum to bring out the impacted tooth.
- Dividing the exposed tooth into sections and removing piecewise.
For Jaw-Joint Issues
Jaw-Joint Issues or TMJ issues can be treated in multiple ways. These ways include Arthrocentesis, Arthroscopy, Arthrotomy, and Joint Replacement.
- Arthrocentesis involves the removal of the liquid present in the joint. The procedure is performed using a syringe and a needle.
- Of all the dental surgery procedures, Arthroscopy is likely the easiest as it follows a simple use of an arthroscope.
- Arthrotomy is an open joint procedure that requires the removal and reshaping of the entire disc for repair.
- In joint replacement, there is the insertion of prostheses in place of the joint.
Orthognathic surgery is performed to treat overbite/underbite. The procedure involves the following major steps:
- Making a cut in the jawbone to move to the correct position.
- Securing the bone using dental tools.
These dental surgery procedures are performed by dental/oral surgeons, for exception even dentists.
Understanding Types of Mouth Surgery
Even though mouth surgery may come in various forms, let us take a quick look at the common types of mouth surgery:
Root Canal Surgery
Root Canal can get infected and the most effective treatment for such an infection is the removal of the decayed part of the teeth. The pulp of the teeth is removed via careful incision and extraction.
Those who want a new set of teeth, opt for this procedure. An artificial tooth is affixed at the implant site. The process involves tooth customization and bone grafting.
Reconstructive Mouth Surgery
Of all the types of the mouth surgery, reconstructive surgery is availed on disfiguration of the mouth only. The mouth may become disfigured due to an accident, or a disease. The method used for reconstruction could be a blend of multiple corrective and cosmetic procedures.
Under the types of mouth surgery, cosmetic surgery is one such type that is not necessary. It is only done to enhance the appearance of an individual. It is crucial to maintain oral health to make the most out of cosmetic dental surgery.