Dental Crown Treatment Delhi – A Brief Overview
Dental crowns or caps are the fixed prosthesis planned on structurally compromised teeth. There are several indications and types of dental crowns. In the information provided below, we will briefly discuss the types, indications, and procedures of dental crowns – Dental Crown Treatment Delhi.
What are Dental Crowns? – Dental Crown Treatment Delhi
There are several reasons for tooth damage, like tooth decay, tooth injury, or just wear and tear with time. The most typical indication of a dental crown is compromised tooth structure that can not be restored with a dental filling. In cases where the infection is treated with a root canal procedure, the tooth structure becomes weak. Dental caps are like snugly fit hats that cover the tooth from all sides.
Our team of experts at Advanced Dental Clinic will carefully examine your case clinically and radiologically before planning any dental crown. Our team will design the type of dental cap depending on the current dental status.
Types of Crowns – Dental Crown Treatment Delhi
- Many metals like gold, nickel, palladium, and chromium are used to fabricate the metal crown.
- They are strong in terms of wear and tear resistance
- The only drawback is the color of the metal which is not esthetically suitable for front teeth
- They are most commonly planned in cases of back teeth
- In this type of dental crown, the base layer of metal is covered with a porcelain layer to mask the metal color.
- PFM caps are more esthetic compared with all metal crowns. However, metal might be exposed due to chipping off the porcelain layer from the top. The risk of wear increases when the opposing tooth is also a crown and there are high biting forces
- PFM crowns are a good option for both back and front teeth
All ceramic crowns
- They are an excellent choice for front teeth and cases of metal allergies.
- The overall strength is less compared to a PFM crown.
- They mimic the natural tooth in color and shade matching, as no metal is present.
Indications of Dental Crowns
- Protection of a weak tooth structure
- Restoration of a broken tooth
- Covering a structurally compromised tooth after RCT
- Covering a dental implant or holding a dental bridge in place
- Covering of an irregularly shaped or malformed tooth
- Supporting a tooth structure with a large filling
The procedure of Dental Crown – Dental Crown Treatment Delhi
- The dental crown or dental cap covers the tooth from all sides. The first step is clinically examining and radiologically assessing the current dental status.
- The next step is preparing the tooth from all sides to receive the cap material.
- After the preparation impression is made
- This impression is sent to a Dental Lab where the dental crown is fabricated.
- The entire procedure is painless as it is done under local anesthesia if required.
How long do crowns last? – Dental Crown Treatment India
The dental crowns may last up to 10 to 15 years, depending upon the wear and tear
There is no special care required except for maintaining good oral hygiene and avoiding certain habits like-
- Nail biting
- Chewing ice
- Chewing on pen or pencil
- Using teeth as tools