6 World-Class and Effective Exercises for TMJ pain relief in Delhi
Exercise therapy for TMJ pain relief in Delhi
Exercises can play an important role in reducing TMJ pain and we at The Advanced Dental Clinic East Delhi, help in TMJ pain relief in Delhi and restore the normal movement of the jaws. People often benefit from performing TMJ pain relief exercises two to three times a day.
In the information provided below, we have listed a few easy to perform and effective exercises for reducing TMJ pain.
Tongue on the palate – TMJ pain relief in Delhi
- Place your tongue on the hard palate just behind the teeth
- Hold this position and relax
- Make sure your lips are closed and teeth are apart
- Breathe through your nose and try holding the position for 6-8 sec
Controlled TMJ rotation
- This exercise ensures that your jaw is moving only through rotation and not protrusion.
- Place your tongue just behind your teeth on the hard palate
- Slightly open your jaw while keeping the tongue in the same position
- Hold the position for 6 seconds and now close your jaw
- The tongue should never leave your palate at any point of time
Opening jaw with resistance
- Adding some resistance to your jaw movements will help in improving the muscle strength
- Place your palm just beneath your chin
- Slight resistance should be applied with your palms on the chin
- Open and close your jaws under slight resistance for 4-6 times
- This exercise helps in relieving the tension and relaxing the muscles of the jaw
- Place your hands behind the neck and interlace your fingers
- Nod your head down while flexing your upper spine
- Apply pulling force by your hands and hold this position for six seconds
- Another great exercise for improving posture
- Sit in the chair comfortably and draw your chin back
- Do not tip your head back while pulling it
- Once you retract your head completely hold the position for six seconds
- Shoulder scapular retraction is another effective exercise for TMJ pain relief
- Sit comfortably on a chair
- Draw your shoulder blades together imagining you are squeezing any object between them
- Once your shoulders are retracted properly hold that position for 6 sec before relaxing
- You can also use a resistance band for performing rowing with it
How often should these exercises be done?
Your dentist will exactly tell you the duration and frequency of these exercises for TMJ pain relief. Generally, you will start seeing relief by performing them two to three times a day. One common method of exercise program is Racobado’s exercise program which suggests performing these exercises for six repetitions each six times a day.
Word of caution – TMJ pain relief in Delhi
Exercises may slightly increase the pain initially but will only help in relieving the symptoms overall. If you feel your condition is worsening get in touch with your health care provider immediately. Before starting with any exercises for TMJ it is best to consult your doctor to make sure that the exercises are safe for your condition.